Monday, January 24

Work Out Tips

It's getting to the end of the month, the time where people usually give up on their New Year's Resolutions.  Like most people, you probably made a resolution to eat healthy, work out, and lose weight. If you're having some trouble, or just need a some tips in keeping you in check, here are 10.

1. C25K program. My mom, her boyfriend, my friend Janna, and I all have started this program. I touched on it last week, but I will explain it again. It's a 9 week program that helps you get from not running regularly to running a 5k without stopping. As the weeks go on, you increase the amount that you run in ratio to walking. You do the scheduled times 3 times a week. This first week (I did my runs Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday) was a schedule of a 5 minute warm up brisk walk, 1 minute run, 1.5 minute walk, 5 minute cool down. You do the run/walk portion for 20 minutes. I'm really excited to be able to run 3 miles no problem and to get my resolution of running at least 3 5ks this year under way.

2. Give yourself a goal. Like my 5k goal, give yourself a goal that you can actually achieve. It will keep you in check. Tell your friends about your goal to help them keep you accountable.

3. Grab yourself a work out buddy! Working out with a friend is always a great way to go. They help motivate you, and will notice if you don't show up. Let's just face it, the time flies by when you are chatting it up while lifting weights. Just remember to actually work out instead of being a Chatty Cathy!

4. 30 min cardio, 15 min strength. It's important to get 30 minutes of cardio in 5 times a week and 15 minutes of strength training 3 times a week. I read recently that when you strength training on a normal basis that your metabolism will speed up and will burn an extra 100 calories without you doing a thing!

5. Shop! Get yourself some new shoes, socks, gym shorts/pants, and shirts. And hey, while your at it, get a new gym bag! If it will make you feel good about yourself and motivate you to get your butt to the gym or to hit the pavement, do it.

6. Music. Download a new album or make a new playlist for when you work out. I get excited to listen to new music during my run, maybe you will too.

7. When? When should you work out? Whenever it's convenient for you. Sure, it gets your metabolism going early in the morning, but its fine after work too. Speaking of metabolism in the morning, nothing works better than eating breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day for a reason, because it gets everything going for the day.

8. Video games. Like the Wii fit or Xbox dancing games? Do those once or twice a week! They have some great work outs on there!

9. Classes. If your gym offers classes, take them. I regularly attend 2 classes at my gym and they are amazing. On Mondays I go to a Cardio Boxing class (unless I feel like doing something else instead) and on Wednesdays I go to Spin class. They both leave my feeling sore, which is always a great thing. If you find a class or 2 that sparks your interest, try it. Don't know anyone in the class? That's how you meet people! I made a friend that I chat with on the treadmill at the time during my Boxing class.

10. Stay motivated! You can do it! Just tell yourself that everyday. You can't get the body you want overnight, so work toward your goal and you WILL achieve it. I'm working toward a goal too, so let's do it together!

**Happy Birthday to my bestie, Brooke!! Hope you have a wonderful day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments :) I appreciate you reading and giving feedback!

Related Posts with Thumbnails