Friday, October 22

Appropriate wedding attire

In one of my speech classes in college, I presented the class with "Appropriate Wedding Attire." I get asked a lot, "what should I wear to a wedding?" So, for Fashion Forward Friday, I wanted to give you the information that was in my presentation. I broke the slide show down in seasons, so for this post I will give you the Fall and Winter rules. Note: these are the rules for women; if you are a guy and want rules, feel free to email me.

First of all, you need to look at the invitation. The invitation sets the tone of the wedding. If it's colorful and fun, you don't need to dress so seriously. If it's fancy, rest assured that the wedding will be someone of an elegant event. Second, you need to know what time the wedding is, as there are specific rules. If it's an afternoon wedding (before 6pm) you should wear lighter colors, if it's an evening wedding (after 6pm) you can wear black, darker colors, and sequins. Third, you need to know which type of wedding it is so you can dress appropriately.

Basic Don'ts:
- Don't wear white or ivory
- Don't wear black or sequins during the day
- Don't wear anything club appropriate
- Don't wear denim
- Don't wear anything too short, low cut, or too revealing

Fall Wedding
- Wear heavier fabrics and darker colors, such as burgundy, dark green and navy
- Always wear stockings or hosiery (unless you live in Florida...too hot for that!)
- If Black Tie fall wedding, floor length formal gowns are the most appropriate
- Dressy cocktail dresses (shown right) and evening suits are also appropriate

Winter Wedding
- Wear necessary outerwear, such as a long, classic coat, or faux fur
- Fabrics and colors should be similar to fall - heavy and dark
- Always wear stockings and hosiery
- Shawls and scarves are a a great way to mix accessory with function

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments :) I appreciate you reading and giving feedback!

Related Posts with Thumbnails